The way we listen to audio has evolved with technology. Headphones, once bulky skull-huggers that kept us plugged into a device, are going increasingly wireless. The simplicity makes it easy to wear your AirPods for hours at a time, and with the noise-canceling feature of the newly released Pro model, you can block out even more of the outside world. Inside our homes, smart assistants like Amazon’s Alexa and Google Assistant sit ready and waiting to listen and record snippets of our lives, even when we don’t want them to. On this week’s episode of The Gadget Lab, Mike, Lauren, and Arielle take a look at the ways we use tech to listen, and how our tech listens to us.
Mike recommends the Los Angeles Times podcast This is California: The Battle of 187. Lauren recommends NPR’s Up First podcast. Arielle recommends the wild tale of an Airbnb scam ring from VICE’s Allie Conti.
How to Listen
You can always listen to this week’s podcast through the audio player on this page, but if you want to subscribe for free to get every episode, here’s how:
If you’re on an iPhone or iPad, open the app called Podcasts, or just tap this link. You can also download an app like Overcast or Pocket Casts, and search for Gadget Lab. If you use Android, you can find us in the Google Play Music app just by tapping here. We’re on Spotify too. You can also download an app like Pocket Casts or Google Podcasts, and search for The Gadget Lab. And in case you really need it, here’s the RSS feed.
More Great WIRED Stories
- Neil Young’s adventures on the hi-res frontier
- A new Crispr technique could fix almost all genetic diseases
- The quest to get photos of the USSR’s first space shuttle
- The death of cars was greatly exaggerated
- Why one secure platform passed on two-factor authentication
- 👁 Prepare for the deepfake era of video; plus, check out the latest news on AI
- ✨ Optimize your home life with our Gear team’s best picks, from robot vacuums to affordable mat