The Aboriginal Group Who Sued Seven Over That “Sunrise” Panel Will Get A Payout And An Apology

The Aboriginal Group Who Sued Seven Over That “Sunrise” Panel Will Get A Payout And An Apology

Channel Seven will broadcast a public apology and pay an undisclosed sum to 15 people from a remote Aboriginal community who sued the network after they were shown in blurred footage during a now infamous panel discussion on breakfast TV show Sunrise.

A settlement reached between Seven and the group of nine adults and six children from Yirrkala in the Northern Territory, led by Yolngu woman Kathy Mununggurr, will be approved, a Federal Court judge said on Thursday.

The Yolngu group were depicted in blurred overlay footage – originally filmed for a health promotion video – that played during the panel discussion about the adoption of Indigenous kids, broadcast in March 2018.

During the panel, hosted by Samantha Armytage, commentator Prue MacSween said of the Stolen Generations that “we need to do it again, perhaps”, and Ben Davis, a radio host at the time, said Aboriginal kids are getting “abused” and “damaged”.

The comments made by the all-white panel sparked protests outside the Sunrise studio in Sydney’s CBD and was found to have breached broadcasting standards and provoked racial contempt by the Australian Media and Communications Authority.

The Yolngu group filed its lawsuit in February 2019, alleging they were identifiable in the blurred footage, and saying it defamed them by suggesting they lived in an abusive and dysfunctional community.

In a Federal Court hearing on Thursday morning, Justice Steven Rares said the payouts and public statement were an “appropriate apology” in the circumstances.

The terms of the settlement include a public apology to be broadcast on Sunrise at a later date.

Payouts to the six children, who are aged between five and nine, will be held in a trust fund until they turn 18, with the trustee able to extract money earlier as appropriate to be used for “the advancement in life, education or welfare” of the child concerned.

The sums are confidential until 2033, which is the year after the youngest child turns 18.

Rares is yet to formally approve the settlement, saying he needed further information about how to set up the trust, but confirmed in court that the terms were agreed and said he would make orders in the coming days.

He congratulated the parties on reaching agreement in a “difficult piece of litigation” and noted that it would have otherwise resulted in a three-week long trial held in a remote community.

Mununggurr and the adults who sued argued they were identifiable in the footage and that by playing it during the discussion Sunrise had suggested they abused, assaulted or neglected children, were incapable of protecting their children, and were members of a dysfunctional community.

The children alleged the program defamed them by suggesting they had been raped and assaulted, and were so vulnerable to danger that they should be removed from their families.

The group also sued for alleged breaches of confidence and privacy, as well as misleading and deceptive conduct and unconscionable conduct under Australian consumer law.

Seven had attempted to strike out the lawsuit entirely in June but were unsuccessful.

The Yolngu group’s lawyer, Stewart O’Connell of O’Brien Criminal & Civil Solicitors, told BuzzFeed News his clients were “extremely happy” with the settlement.

“The broadcasting of a public apology by Channel Seven will go a long way to resolving the hurt, shame and distress that our clients and the Yolngu people generally have endured as a result of the misuse of this footage,” he said.

“It is our hope that media companies generally will exercise more care and respect in the future as to the use of footage of Aboriginal persons.”

Seven will pay the costs of the solicitors who acted for the Yolngu group.







Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: